Monday, October 27, 2008

New Family at Dundowran

Dundowran is where I live and this family of Noisy Minors made it their home as well. I followed their progress from the adults building the nest, to the laying of three eggs, and the constant sitting on the nest until incubation. All this transpired just outside our dining room window. One at a time the chicks would get up on the edge of the nest and flex their wings, preparing for the day when they would take flight.
The adult birds were extremely busy collecting all manner of insects to feed their young the entire day. I felt privileged to witness the industry of the adults and the growth of the young.
I was thinking to myself that the adult birds were super parents with the frequency of the visits to the nest. Then I discovered that there were more than two adults feeding the chicks. Apparently, the adolescent birds from the previous hatching were assisting the parent birds.
More feeding and the adult birds ensured all the chicks received an equal share of food.
Hey guys, it's getting a little cramped for space in this house. The nest was beginning to fall apart as well from all the activity of the chicks. I was fortunate that I took these photos on that day as all the chicks flew out the very next day. This was the first of three families that the adults had that season. All this activity happened over Spring and Summer of 2007.

1 comment:

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Noel. Love the bird pics. Nature is my favorite subject, especially wildlife. Sorry I haven't visited for a couple of days, but trying to get the house ready to move into. Not a fun thing!
Take care and have a great week.
Lisa